THURSDAY, JULY 29
• Avalon Center Open House for potential mentors; 4-6 p.m., 705 N. Main St., Charles City; help guide, motivate, listen to and support youth as a role model, friend, coach, advisor and self-esteem builder. For more information call 641-715-1183; interested youth also encouraged to call.
FRIDAY, JULY 30
• Party in the Park, 5-9 p.m. in Central Park, Charles City; includes music by the Spacemen and science exhibits and displays by Floyd County Medical Center, Floyd County Farm Bureau, and Floyd County Conservation as well as some other science fun with Zoetis and Cambrex.
SATURDAY, JULY 31
• Heritage Fest sponsored by the Floyd County Museum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Andres park next to the museum; including games, food, educational activities and local products; also a cookie and pie contest; for more information call 641-228-1099.
• Post 3914 VFW Members Appreciation Day, at the post, 1505 N. Grand Ave., Charles City; post opens at 11 a.m., food starts at noon, VFW member recognition program at 4 p.m.
• Free children’s movie at the Charles Theatre, “The Emoji Movie,” at 1:30 p.m.; free kiddie combo to first 100 kids; sponsored by FMC CPPC, AmeriCorp and Zip’s Outfitters.
• Cedar Arts Festival 1 to 7 p.m. at the Cedar River Complex in Osage; showcasing Mitchell County and area artists; deadline to apply to be included in the exhibit is June 11 at www.cedarsummerstock.org.
SUNDAY, AUG. 1
• Little Brown Church in Nashua annual Marriage Reunion; registration that morning, sing-along at 10:15 a.m., worship service with renewal of marriage vows beginning at 10:30 a.m., followed by lunch and entertainment.
TUESDAY, AUG. 3
• National Night Out, sponsored by the Charles City Police Department, in Central Park.
SATURDAY, AUG. 7
• Free vegetables will be distributed from 10 a.m. to noon near the Lions Rose Garden by the Main Street bridge in Charles City. Vegetables are provided by participants in Growing Iowa Together and others and are available to anyone who wants them.
FRIDAY, AUG. 20
• Charles City Community Blood Drive, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Messiah Lutheran Church, 705 3rd Ave.; schedule an appointment by calling 800-287-4903 or going to lifeservebloodcenter.org.
SATURDAY, AUG. 21
• Charles City Arts Center Art-a-Fest starts at 9 a.m. in Central Park.
• Charles City Downtown Farmers Market along Central Park, running May 1 through mid-October; offering fresh produce, baked goods, plants, crafts and more; open 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and 3:30-6 p.m. Wednesdays.
•Messiah’s Food Pantry in Charles City is open 9 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays and noon to 3 p.m. on Fridays. For more information on eligibility, contact Pastor Victoria at 641-220-3694. The food pantry is located at 102 N. Main St., with access from the public parking lot at the rear of the building.
• Charles City Senior Center Congregate Meals drive-thru only. Meals available from noon to 12:15 p.m., Monday through Friday, but must be reserved by the previous Friday at 1 p.m. by calling 641-228-3114 and leaving a message. Enter on the west side of the Senior Center parking lot and pull up to the front doors. Masks mandatory. Price for meals for people under 60 years of age is $8.10. Recommended donation for persons age 60 and older is $4.25 to $6.75. Please have diner card or correct cash ready to pay.
• Al-Anon family group meeting times and locations as well as additional information can be found at al-anonneiowa.org or 319-291-3660.
To have your community event information listed, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.