Posted on

External outlet malfunction sparks fire

HOUSE FIRE

External outlet malfunction sparks fire

No injuries sustained in house fire Monday morning

Rain accompanied the Charles City Fire Department on Monday morning when firefighters responded to a house fire at 106 Park Lane Drive. No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

At 9:05 a.m., the CCFD was dispatched to the home where, according to a news release from Fire Chief Eric Whipple, “firefighters reported fire showing from the exterior portion of the residence.” The fire had spread up the outside wall and into the attic. “Firefighters then gained entry into the attic and extinguished the fire,” Whipple said.

Whipple said in the news release that the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction with an outdoor outlet on the house.

There was also a dog and cat inside the house, but both were rescued safely and are OK.

Owner Paul Thomson said he was teaching a hazardous materials class at Cambrex when some other employees started radioing for Thomson.

“I told them I wasn’t working, I was in class, and they kept saying, ‘Come here Paul, come here,’” Thomson said. “Eventually I came out and said, ‘What do you need?’ And they told me my house was on fire.” Thomson said he didn’t believe them until he heard about 10 radios going off asking where he was.

CCFD reported that there is moderate fire, smoke and water damage to the home. The fire started right outside the kitchen, before moving inside and on to the attic.

Thomson said, “it’s just stuff,” and that no personal belongings, such as pictures or anything of irreplaceable value, was destroyed.

Thomson said the family’s dog was in his carrier and was quickly extracted from the fire when firefighters arrived. But the cat had retreated to the basement, where he stayed unhurt throughout the fire.

By Stephen Koenigsfeld [email protected]

Social Share

LATEST NEWS