Posted on

Nashua-Plainfield taking a planeload to nationals

Nashua-Plainfield’s National History Day national qualifiers inlcude (front row, from left) Ava Kirk, Jackson Mehmen, Titus Cerwinske, Cal Levi, Caleb Sinnwell, Serena Gallmeyer, (back row) Elexa O’Neill, Jena Peterson, Kadence Huck, Paige Franzen, Emilie O’Neill and Mia Schmitt. Submitted photo

12 Nashua-Plainfield students advance seven projects at National History day State Contest

By Bob Fenske, Of the Reporter

Nashua-Plainfield’s National History Day prowess continued this last week when the school’s students had a brilliant day at the state contest in Des Moines, advancing seven projects completed by 12 students to the national contest in suburban Washington, D.C. next month.

That represents the most qualifiers of any school in the state and also marks the highest number of qualifiers for an “in-person” national contest in school history.

“It was exhilarating and exhausting all at the same time,” NP teacher and National History Day advisor Suzy Turner said. “The students were phenomenal. They were prepared, professional and polished.”

Those heading east next month are:

• Titus Cerwinske for his senior individual performance project, “Care and Compassion in a Cardigan: Mr. Rogers Creates a Turning Point for Child Development.”
  • Caleb Sinnwell, a two-time national champion and three-time placewinner at nationals, for his senior individual website, “A Devastating Decade of Dying Dreams: How the 1980s Farm Crisis Changed Rural America.”
  • Paige Franzen, Kadence Huck and Callahan Levi for their senior group documentary, “A Champion for Change: Shirley Chisholm’s Candidacy and Candor Create A Turning Point for Equity.”
  • Jena Peterson and Serena Gallmeyer for their senior group documentary, “The Radium Girls: A Glowing Example of Advocacy for Workplace Safety.”
  • Ava Kirk and Elexa O’Neill for their senior group website, “Point, Click, Shoot: Lewis Hine’s Photographs Create a Turning Point for Child Labor.”
  • Jackson Mehmen for his junior individual website, “Hart-Parr Tractors: Turning the Soil and Cultivating Change in Agriculture Through Mechanization.”
  • Emilie O’Neill and Mia Schmitt for their junior group website, “The Radium Girls Fight Back and Shine: A Turning Point for Workplace Safety.”

And a trio of Nashua-Plainfield students — Maci Malven, Jordyn Frost and Alyson Reints — were selected national alternates for their senior group exhibit, “The Lafayette Escadrille: Americans ‘Pilot’ the Path to Military Innovation.”

Nashua-Plainfield also claimed three awards at the state contest as Sinnwell’s website claimed the Rural and Agricultural History and Iowa Resource Award and Connor Sullivan’s senior individual website “The Five Sullivan Brothers: Naval Tragedy Turns the Tide on Military Policy” won the Iowa History Award.

The plethora of Nashua-Plainfield qualifiers does present some challenges for Turner and her students.

“There is a short time frame to arrange flights, register for the national contest and submit updated projects, as the contest deadline is May 14,” Turner said. “Needless to say, there is no time for rest now, only time for making improvements. I am so proud of these kids! … They showed that our students are leading the way as historians in the truest sense of the word.”

Turner said that it will cost about $1,100 per student to pay for registration, airfare and room and board on the University of Maryland campus to compete at the national contest.

“We’ve always had great support from our community, and we’re hoping they’ll help us again,” she said. “Nationals is an amazing experience for our kids so we’re very appreciative of any donations.”

Those who want to make a donation can make checks payable to “Nashua-Plainfield National History Day.” Checks can be dropped off at the superintendent’s office or mailed to the school.

Social Share

LATEST NEWS