Posted on

Letter to the Editor: Please help fill the Red Kettles

By the Floyd County Salvation Army Board of Directors

The sightings of the Red Kettles of the Salvation Army in our community is a good indication that the Christmas season is here again. The Salvation Army is committed to doing the most good for the most people in the most need.

Our services in the Floyd County area have been so successful because of your generosity. As always, 90% of all contributions stay right here in Floyd County. The other 10% goes to meet administrative costs so our work can continue.

As our budget allows, we assist with eviction notices and utility shutoff notices. We are also available to be of assistance in emergency situations, such as fires, floods, health, and transportation emergencies.

We have been able to support the distribution of back packs in National Night out and helped the food pantries, YMCA Y’s Guys, TLC, Friends of Cancer, Veterans’ Affairs and the free Thanksgiving Dinner and soup supper at Christmas by CC Cares.

This year we were also able to help our schools in Charles City RRMR, and Central Springs with funding for their student food pantries as well as fund art instruction and activities for some Comprehensive Systems residents.

We have reduced our bell-ringing schedule primarily due to health concerns. This does mean less opportunities to fill the kettle the “old fashioned’ way.

You will find us as four locations in Charles City. We will have Salvation Army Red Kettles at Fareway, Ace Hardware, Hy-Vee, and Theisen’s on Friday and Saturday starting Friday, Nov. 26, through Saturday, Dec. 18.

An additional option for you is to send your contribution through the mail. If you would like to use this option, please make your check payable to “The Floyd County Red Kettle Fund” and send it to The Salvation Army, 200 S. Main Street, Charles City, Iowa, 50616.

This address is the location of St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church. We wish to publicly thank them. They have graciously offered their assistance with office space and support for many years, which is a special gift that has made our mission easier in so many ways.

We sincerely thank you all for your support. Our wish for you is a healthy, happy Christmas season and 2022. God bless you all!


Social Share