Posted on

BOYS BASKETBALL: Comets edge Chickasaws, 45-42

By Erik Hoefer, Press Correspondent

It was Future Comet Night in more ways than one last evening at Comet Gym. Sure, there were lots of elementary kids bringing extra energy to the bleachers at the already boisterous home of the Comets.

But it was the young men on the floor for Charles City who showed the future of the program is truly bright. A starting lineup featuring a freshman, three sophomores, and a senior helped lead the Comets to a season sweep of their closest geographic rival with a 45-42 victory Tuesday night.

The game started at a fast pace. Jack Molstead had seven first-quarter points, including a 15-foot buzzer beater to put the Comets ahead after one, 18-16.

Cade Hemeseth and Brandt Gebel also combined for six points in that first stanza by confidently finding mid-post space from the weak side to hit jumpers in the lane.

Charles City began to pull away in the second, and tremendous passing played a large role.

A Noah Schlader 3-pointer off a fast-break pass from Molstead, a driving layup by Hemeseth from a perfect feed by Mike Cranshaw, and a Molstead 3-pointer created by two perfect reversal passes after a Shane Feller offensive rebound.

Suddenly, it was 30-20 Charles City. New Hampton answered, however, scoring the final six points to pull within 30-26 at halftime.

Comet boys basketball coach Todd Forsyth was extremely pleased with his team’s play in the first half against the New Hampton zone defense.

“If we hadn’t played Independence last night and gone through a difficult fourth quarter against their zone, we wouldn’t have won tonight,” Forsyth said. “We weren’t thinking they would run a zone, but they did. Our zone offense was great!

“And our first-half passing was terrific. We scored often thanks to that passing.”

New Hampton switched defenses to open the third. The Chickasaws moved to a man-to-man look, and the Comets struggled a bit.

Charles City scored just four points in the quarter, and New Hampton’s Zach Heying hit two three pointers late in the period to tie the game at 34 going to the fourth.

A conventional 3-point play by Tristan Sweitzer put the Chickasaws ahead 40-37, but Schlader’s clutch three from behind the arc evened the score a minute later.

Jaden Foster then found a cutting Hemeseth to put the Comets back ahead by a bucket, and Charles City would eventually hold on for the win.

While Forsyth was pleased with his entire team’s play, two Comets impressed the most.

“Jack Molstead played a terrific game,” Forsyth noted. “Molstead is such a mentally tough freshman. He is willing to step up and put the game on his shoulders late. That’s pretty special.”

“Jacob Nixt also played very well,” Forsyth added. “We have a saying, ‘Be ready when your name is called.’ Jacob personifies that. He has been patiently waiting for his opportunity and tonight he got it. He was ready! His defense was critical for us.”

Molstead led the Comets with 18 points. Schlader had 13, Hemeseth scored eight, and Cranshaw, Feller, and Gebel each had two.

“It was great playing in front of a good-sized crowd tonight,” Forsyth said.

And when that crowd contains the future, it makes things even better.

UP NEXT

The Comets travel to Decorah Friday night to face the Vikings. The two teams are tied for second at 3-2 in the conference along with Crestwood, whom Decorah upset last night. Triple header action begins at 5 p.m.

Press photos by John Burbridge

Charles City’s Noah Schlader (10) hits a 3-pointer to tie the game at 37 in the fourth quarter of the  Comets home win over New Hampton.

BOYS BASKETBALL: Comets edge Chickasaws, 45-42Charles City’s Shane Feller and Cade Hemeseth reach for a rebound Tuesday nigh against New Hampton.

Social Share

LATEST NEWS