Posted on

GIRLS BASKETBALL: Lady Warriors cruise past Huskies, 56-23

By Andrew Larson, Press Correspondent

NASHAU — The Lady Warriors of Rockford got a relatively easy win on the road Tuesday night against conference foe Nashua-Plainfield. The Huskies kept the game close early, but the Lady Warriors really hit their stride in the second half and were eventually able to coast a 56-23 victory, their ninth win of the season.

Points were few and far between in the first period, with neither team able to find much offense early on. Senior guard Emma Staudt scored the first points of the game around the seven minute mark to put the Warriors up early, but senior Aubry Bienemann of Nashua-Plainfield quickly answered back with a basket of her own. Freshman guard Morgan Thieman was a surprise standout for Rockford early on, scoring on consecutive trips midway through the first to give the Lady Warriors a fourpoint edge, which they held until senior Samantha Hyde of Nashua-Plainfield scored with under a minute to play in the quarter to make the scored 6-4 heading into the second quarter. Senior Briley Fisher scored early for the Huskies in the second quarter, but a pair of baskets from senior forward Fallon Marth and a made free throw from junior guard Sarah Parcher put the Lady Warriors up 11-5 midway through the period. After Fisher added another basket for the Huskies, Marth responded with her second pair of baskets to put the Warriors up 15-7 with under two minutes to play in the half. Marth totalled eight points on the night, all of which came in the second quarter. The Lady Warriors were up by as many as 12 points during the last minute of the first half, but a late basket from the Huskies left the score at 19-9 going into halftime.

The Lady Warriors opened up the second half on a 16-4 run to really take control of the game. The run was highlighted by consecutive 3-point field goals from Staudt and junior guard Theresa Jones. Overall, the Lady Warriors outscored the Huskies 22-5 in the third quarter and essentially put the game out of reach with a quarter still to play. The Huskies did their best keep things competitive in the fourth quarter, but solid free throw shooting on the part of the Lady Warriors stymied any hope of a comeback.

The key to the win, according to Rockford coach Blake Hansen, was getting everybody involved.

“We just had people other than [Emma Staudt] step up,” said Hansen after the game, noting the Huskies successes in limiting the effectiveness of the usually productive Staudt, who was held to only 11 points on the night. Hansen also commended the play of Thieman and Jones, who scored 10 and 9 points, respectively. Thiemann also recorded five rebounds, while Jones tallied three assists. “In the second half our whole team played well,” Hansen said. Leading all scorers was Parcher with 14 points, who also recorded seven steals, while Marth lead the team with nine rebounds. The Lady Warriors now prepare for a home contest on Friday night against West Fork.

Social Share

LATEST NEWS